Saturday, May 03, 2008

The answer to our prayers?

I gathered with about 50 other Jesus followers this morning to spend an hour in prayer. It was nothing short of amazing.

What made this morning so special was that we invited five of our ministry partners to join us so that we could simply pray for whatever they needed. The leader of each ministry took two minutes to tell us about their most pressing challenge.

Gary Porter, from the Christian Children's Home, asked us to pray for 30 families that would be willing to become forever homes for children eight years of age or older.

Jill Taylor, from the Pregnancy Support Center, asked us to pray for more servant volunteers.

Terry Hunka, from ChildReach Ministries, asked us to pray for the needed financial resources for children in Peru who are desperate for life altering surgeries--procedures that cost about $250 each.

As I was sitting at the table praying, God just wrecked my heart. I couldn't help but think that God has already answered every prayer we were praying. There are more than enough families in the church to care for every foster child in need. There are more than enough Christians to fill all of the volunteer positions needed to save the lives of the unborn. If we would have simply emptied our wallets, we could have provided the funds for countless surgical procedures.

But instead we prayed. We asked God to do what we're not willing to do. Prayer is absolutely vital. But I wonder if our prayers should begin with each of us asking God if He wants us to be the answer to our prayers?

6 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Hi Greg - I was able to come to the 4:30 service on Saturday and loved the "Wreck the Roof" lesson and that it required/challenged people to take action, not just internalize everything and sit on it.
Commitment is hard for me - consistency doesn't come easy at all. I'm anxious for the impact that the commitments I made will have on my life and those around me. Thanks for calling us all out, outside of our comfort zones.

This weekend was my 2nd time visiting while in town, maybe the 3rd time I come I'll actually get to meet you! :)

Your Cincinnati friend April

9:45 AM  
Blogger LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Wow! This is a heavy hitter. Thanks for the 2X4 in the eyes!

IHL,

Richie

2:43 PM  
Blogger jcubsdad said...

YES.... now that is what God wants us to get.

Could you share that message at a Compassion Sunday? (lol)

So often when we see a friend or someone in the church in need we say the 5 words that get us out of so much...I will pray for you. So many times though, God has called us to answer that very prayer at that very time!

God loves to answer our prayers, and he does all the time. But, the saints in His church are His choosen venue so much of the time. When we do not listen He resorts to other means.

Prayer is indeed powerful, but answered prayer is even more so a miracle.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't at church this weekend. I was working. But I "heard" about the service, and what I "heard" excites me.

Not everybody gets it. Some still would rather someone else be the vessel God uses. But some do, and from what I "hear", a few more jumped on board this weekend.

My thrive group gets it. "We" sponsor a Compassion child, walk for Hannah's Hike for ChildReach, donate to the food pantry, help a homeless shelter, and adopt a family for Christmas. You can be the answer to someone's prayers, and you can do it with a friend. God pours out his blessings and makes light work when many get involved.

Thanks Pastor Greg for leading us out of the boat, and for making us aware of the needs of those who can't speak for themselves. You did more than pray. God used you to get a message out. Now pray that the message touched those who needed to hear, and let us all work together to answer the spoken and unspoken requests, of all of God's children.

Joett

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greg,
Wrecking the roof makes people a bit uncomfortable....You are really challenging us as Jesus followers, to bring people to Christ.......
I LOVE where you meet us, and I LOVE where you take us in the name of Christ....
It's not easy........
for you.....
for us......
for the one's we bring......
but,
it is ALL worth it.....
This is where I want to be....
challenged
stepping out
uncomfortable
becoming
confident
wrapped in the arms Jesus,
loving others in His name.
Thanks for it all.
LINDY

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is right on.... we are Jesus' hands here on earth. We are here to reach out and touch those in need, Jesus never told people he would pray for them, He met their need right on the spot. May God continue to stir our hearts to be more like him and let His love flow through us as a vessel. Let us be the blessed ones that He uses to touch those in need.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home