Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Big D

I just returned from a quick trip out to Dallas. Other than having to spend the night in Memphis on the way home (weather delays), it was an amazing trip. Our leadership team was able to spend two days with 10 very cool churches from across the country--learning, strategizing, pushing the envelope in how to reach and develop people for Jesus.

One of the biggest discussions centered around moving from being a program driven church to become a people development church. Here are a few of the shifts that MUST take place . . .

Program driven -----------------> People development

Standardized approach --------> Individually customized

Scripted pattern -----------> Shaped (life coaching)

Participation (get more people in the programs) -----> Life transformation

Didactic (someone stands up and lectures) ------> Everyone discovers together

Delivery of information ---------> Debriefing life experiences

Curriculum guided -----------> Life-centric

Plugged in (to existing church programs) -------> Pushed out (to make a difference in the world)
Growing into service --------> Growing through service

Generationally siloed ----------> Intergenerational

Compartmentalized (in life) -------> Integrated (life and spirituality)

Artificial -------------------> Organic

Build the organization -------------> Develop people

I'm very excited about seeing these shifts implemented. In fact, I believe they are essential to the future health and success of being the church in post-Christian American culture.

8 Comments:

Blogger LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Greg,

Was this a conference, or just you hanging with these folks? Either way, can or do you have any notes or materials you can share? I am interested in the processes of how and what?

It seems to me, that I would want this mentality to be part of my DNA from the beginning.

Good stuff. You have my email me thinks, so if you have anything to share or your folks do, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks! :-)

IHL,

Richie

9:47 AM  
Blogger jcubsdad said...

Sounds like a church emerging to me. I mean that as a positive.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Hey Richie,

The gathering in Dallas was put together by Leadership Network. It's a two year commitment by the churches involved. We gather together twice a year for the two years.

I am very interested in the how and what of the transitions as well. That's what the group is working on implementing in the church.

If I were a church planter I would look very hard at making this part of our DNA. As we go along, let's talk about this further!

g

6:09 AM  
Blogger LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Thanks Greg! Looking forward to it!

IHL,

Richie

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I praise God as I read what God is doing in the heart of pastors like you who are willing to listen to His heart for His people.

It's time we all realize the role of the church should return to be the place that encourages people to be all that God created them to be. Also for it to recognize that God's plan requires the ENTIRE body to function together in it's interconnected giftings in order to be whole and complete. Only then can it impact a world that is so hungry, ripe and ready for us to be the vehicle that carries the gospel to the outer most regions of the earth, one person at a time.

Jesus was God and He discipled 12 When the Church gets back to truly following the simplicity of what Jesus did and stops doing what man decided was more effective, I think we'll begin to be the impact again that this world needs.

I long to see all 5 of the ministries for building the body begin to function again as Paul talked about in Ephesians 4.

God is doing a "New Thing" and it is exciting to see. I pray for God's continued blessings upon you, your family, and Rivertree. God promises that it will go well when we are obedient. Continue to be obedient and look for the "new thing" He is doing in His bride.
Blessings,
Cheryl

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ken McKinney said...

Hi Greg, Kenny here. These are great ways to communicate the "from here to there" big ideas. Definitely resonates with what we hope to do here in San Francisco. I'd also love to here more as it develops at Rivertree or in this church network.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a chance to talk to Jason about the conference and it sounded good. Just a general thought I had though, I wanted to tell you I'm really pumped about this Wreck the Roof initiative for our church. My prayer is that the hopes and goals that have been laid down can become a reality. I have been really happy with the teaching and have enjoyed digging a little deeper. I think that this could be a great growth for our church. I wanted to encourage you if I could and just say that I'm praying for you, the other leaders and the church in general. Thanks for following God and taking our church on this new push to take those extra steps and grow together.

God bless,
Nick
Romans 15:1-6

3:14 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Hey Ken,

Always good to hear from you.

Praying for your work in San Fran.

Much of what we're learning should be very relevant to new church planting.

Keep up the good work bro!

g

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home