Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Lost Symbol

Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code, released his new book, The Lost Symbol, a few weeks ago. DaVinci was one of the best sellers of all time and Symbol is anticipated to generate the same kind of revenue.

Just as The Davinci Code created a firestorm in the church (it proposed that Jesus was secretly married to Mary Magdalene and had children with her), The Lost symbol will certainly raise controversy as well. I found both books to be incredibly readable--Dan Brown is a gifted author.

For the first 450 pages of The Lost Symbol I hated to put the book down. It's in the last 50 pages that Brown unveils his agenda and the book becomes very disappointing. Without going into a great deal of detail, Brown is suggesting that there is a hidden "gnosis" that the church has been trying to repress. Gnosis simply means "secret knowledge." The truth is that this gnosis has actually been around for 1900 years and suggests that "we" are god. That the knowledge to everything, the key to all power, the salvation of us all lies within each of us and is waiting to be discovered. It's a nice premise that many people choose to believe but it's simply not true.

The reality is that, left to our own devices, we ultimately fail. That's why, in my belief system, we need Jesus.

I know that many people will read The Lost Symbol. I would strongly remind you that it is a work of FICTION. And, that it is a proponent of a heresy and false belief system that has been around for nearly two millenia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

If Gnosticism had won, and become the popular belief, everyone would be calling what we think of today as Christianity the heretical and false belief system.

3:15 PM  
Blogger David said...

It sounds like "new age" stuff that's out there being plugged by Oprah.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. For 17 years, I believed that I had successfully turned my life and my will over to the care of God as I understood Him. And I was right - I had. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), a couple years ago, I realized that God as I understood Him looked rather suspiciously like me. Rather than acknowledge that I was formed in His image and trying to make myself look more like Him, I had attempted to create my god in MY image. Today I surrender my life and my will to God as YOU understand Him. And I commit to understanding Him better myself. Fortunately, there's a manual.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home