Saturday, September 19, 2009

Canton experience

Last night Julie and I had an outstanding Canton experience.

We started with dinner at Iris restaurant downtown. The food was excellent and our time with our friends, Jon and Kelly, was wonderful. Jon is the Director of the Canton Players Guild. I had a unique appetizer: Dates stuffed with chorizo, wrapped in bacon and served in an oriental marinara sauce!

After dinner, Jon had to head to the theater so Kelly, Julie and I went to Muggswiqz for coffee. Muggswigs is my favorite local hangout for a cup of joe.

Finally, we went to the theater to watch a production of Rent. I sat there amazed at the quality of our home-town talent. Rent, despite its renown for dealing with very challenging subject matter, is an amazing story of redemption and love. Jon, who played the lead role, showed why he once played the same lead role on Broadway. One of the things that touched me deeply was that two of our RiverTree Partners were in the cast. I love that they are influencing our culture for Jesus.

My only regret was that we weren't able to attend the "after party." We were invited but it didn't begin until midnight--a bit too late for us before a big weekend. The party was being held at Crew, a popular gay bar in downtown Canton. It was a fundraiser to assist those struggling with HIV. I am certain that it was a gathering Jesus would attend. Actually, through some of the cast members, I'm sure that Jesus was there.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I hadn't seen Jon in anything before and was very pleased with his performance. We also saw the North Canton Playhouse production of Rent the month before and enjoyed it as well.

Rent, to me, is about loving people in spite of our differences and the less than wise decisions that we sometimes make.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? You believe Jesus would be hanging at a gay bar, or any other bar at 1 or 2 in the morning? Hmmmmmm???

9:29 AM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Absolutely. I'm reminded of a similar instance recorded in the history of Jesus' life.

"Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. But when the Pharisees saw this they asked his disciples, 'Why does your teacher eat with such scum?'

When Jesus heard this, he said, 'Healthy people don't need a doctor--sick people do.' Then he added, 'Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices. For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.'"

9:55 AM  
Blogger Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Sometimes I think Jesus would be more accepted at a bar than at many churches. Jesus clearly made those who were part of the religious status quo of his day uncomfortable.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you do not mean gay people are disreputable sinners and sick people, anymore so than any other sinner? Rivertree seems to accept ALL people, at least that is what I see on the surface.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

I would echo the words of the Apostle Paul about myself as well, "I am among the worst of sinners!"

Thanks for clarifying.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my own safety and for the sake of my family, personally I would pass on being in a bar at 1 or 2 in the morning. To many horrific things happen in and around bars late at night. I think Jesus would understand.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i am a little bit suprised at all of the negativity around this blog. I belive that Jesus loves everyone the same regardless of what our sins are gay or straight we all have sin in our lives and temptations that we strugle with, some are more socaily exceptable, but to Jesus, we are all exceptable. We have put these walls up and considered a bar a bad place because of the people that are there. It sure is funny how we (as christians) are the body, but were are too busy pointing our fingers to do the work of the body! Hmmmm!

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just making a point that being in a bar at 1AM in Canton is dangerous. No Negativity.

9:12 PM  
Blogger chris ignizio said...

it has been my understanding and experience that out of all the things in our life that Jesus is concerned with, safety is not one of them.

nearly all of Jesus immediate-circle friends (disciples) were killed for their allegiance to him, and scripture is abundantly clear(start w/1 peter) that danger is a reality of following Jesus.

i'm not suggesting carelessness or destructive behavior, but as christ-followers we are in this world to be Christ's hands and feet to people who are spiritually dying. spiritually dying people don't often come to you; you go to them just like Jesus did.

If God's chief concern for us was our safety, he would pluck us out of here and "take us to heaven." But he doesn't, because his chief concern for us is that we become more and more like Christ, and the essence of a Christ-like life is sacrificial love.

If you truly believe that people are dead apart from the love of Christ, and you have received that love in your own life and are a part of the Kingdom of God, then safety is not an option.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home