Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pie, pie, pie!

I've been on this wierd pie making kick lately. Probably has something to do with the weather. If I can't golf . . .

So I've made sweet potato pie, brown sugar pie, chocolate pie and my new favorite recipe: Kentucky Pie.

This is a family recipe that my mom passed on. It's been one of our favorites and good to now have in the next generation.

Kentucky Pie

1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
1 Tbspn cornstarch
3 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tspn vanilla extract

Melt butter over medium heat, stir in sugar and cornstarch. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add milk and vanilla, stir well. Pour into 9" pie crust. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.

Enjoy!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm....you forgot the chocolate chips....that makes it kentucky derby pie! my husbands favorite..
lindy

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HOPE YOU DON'T EAT TOO MUCH OF THAT PIE. IT HAS ABOUT 775 CALORIES PER SLICE. (ASSUMES 6 SERVINGS)

3:37 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Hey Lindy,

How many chocolate chips and when do you add them?

g

4:06 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I think a true Kentucky Derby Pie has chocolate chips AND pecans.

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's really not kentucky derby pie....but with a few changes it would be:
1/2 c butter melted and cooled
1 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1 c choc chips
1 1/2 c pecans
1 T bourbon
bake at 350 for 30 min
cool before serving

pecans and bourbon optional
if you don't add the bourbon
then add a t of vanilla.

and....of course it has alot of calories.....anything that tastes good does! darn...
Lindy

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm.....don't forget the pie shell on that Kentucky derby pie!
LINDY

1:44 PM  
Blogger Scott Baker said...

Greg,

Where did you get your brown sugar pie recipe. Most people I know have never heard of it. I have a recipe for it and people always ask me about the recipe. I thought it was just a southern thing.

Bake

10:22 AM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

My mom grew up in Kentucky. The recipe has been in the family for generations.

g

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home