Friday, May 11, 2007

Gray hairs and hip young guys

I spoke in Cincinnati last night at a fundraising banquet for the Christian Evangelizing Fellowship. There were probably about 200 people in attendance of which 70% were gray hairs. Now, I love being around older people who are still growing and living and loving for Jesus. In fact, at the table where Julie and I were seated, we were with some seniors who were committed to making a difference.

There were also some very hip young guys in attendance who are trying to plant churches in the inner city of Cincy. Very challenging. I love the vision these guys have.

Right before I got up to speak, this quartet sang a "special number." I know they love Jesus, but it was a lengthy ballad sung to a sound track. Very tough.

As I was preparing to stand up and speak, Julie wrote me a note: "Preach to the boys." It's amazing the wisdom our wives can give us in time of need.

So hopefully I encouraged some young guys to take Cincinnati for Jesus. And hopefully I encouraged some wonderful gray hairs to keep growing and living and loving for Jesus.

3 Comments:

Blogger RyMarkley said...

I like the fact the pastor of my church wants to reach a multitude of different people. I have attended a few churches where pastors only want to reach the people who are paying the bills and not people that need to hear it. Keep up the awesome work Pastor Greg. I will be praying!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

In listening to God, He has set me on a path as a church planter too; yet.., I have this sense of urgency. Why you ask? Well two reasons - #1 - There is a world out there that is hurting and needs the Love of Christ - first and foremost! #2 - More personal here - I'm am getting older (46 yrs young and moving). The gray hair scares me. Why? Well..., will I be relevant?; Will I connect?; blah, blah, blah!

I know there is a need for both young and old; and I do feel I connect very well with the younger generation. So.., I chalk it up to unfounded fear; cuz I know God can and will use me wherever He puts me. I talked to Scott Baker about this just yesterday with respect to planting - so.., I thought it odd you would kinda talk about it!

Anyway.., without babbling - in a strange sense this was a comforting note to me. Thanks!

Additionally, I concur with rymarkley's comments whole-heartedly!

IHL,

Richie

6:49 AM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

The only thing about "gray hairs" that would scare me is their rigidity in tradition both in service presentation and in teachings. Usually, with age commeth wisdom, but sometimes older people get so set in their ways and beliefs that they're not willing to re-examine their beliefs to see if they still hold up to the Truth. That bothers me.

As a younger person (29), I appreciate churches that are relevant to my generation and not steeped in stoic worship and sermon topics; that does not inspire me in the least. I like how RT teaches me how to live a Godly life in Christ in this present era, with all it's gray areas, pitfalls, and stumbling blocks...the lines are skewed. A church that isn't relevant to the here and now isn't going to address those issues, so a lot of younger people will fall through the cracks.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home