Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Fish and salt

The team I'm with in Ecuador had the privilege of spending the morning with Fernando and Liseth Puga. Fernando is the Director of Compassion International in Ecuador. To put that in persepctive, he oversees the organization that cares for 43,000 children!

Fernando, while talking with us, quoted his wife: "You never eat a fish full of salt--even though the fish lives its life in salt water. Our goal at Compassion is to have children--who even though they are living in poverty--poverty is not living in them."

Our goal as Christ-followers should be to immerse ourselves in the world as deeply as possible, but not allow the world to be in us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that your church is there mostly the church is never the same unless your there. I wanted to say that the other day I was praying for Gds presance to come over me and it came so well that he gave me open heart surgery and not meaning that he fixed my physical heart but a spiritual one he gave me a heart like his. In a way it goes with a fish without salt we need to be in the world not of the world.

9:19 AM  
Blogger mike savage said...

As a freequeny visitor to the site I'm always stimulated however "fish and salt" is profound and applicable to my life on many fronts.
Thanks to you and for your traveling companions for sharing God's love with those in Ecuador.

1:03 PM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

Great blog! This one touches on one of my complaints about the modern Christian community in general, and the elitist separatism that a lot of Christians have adopted when it comes to people who are of the world. I like how Paul dealt with the worldly. He said he was "all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

Paul had it goin' on: "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" Romans 10:14-15.

Jesus said "Go into all the nations." He didn't say, "Wait for the nations to come to you." There. We've been sent. Hooray!! =D

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home