Thursday, March 08, 2007

Death paid a visit

Two days ago I was in a home where death paid a visit.

It all began with an e-mail I received to pray for a young couple here in our community who would soon be bringing home the little girl they were adopting from Guatemala. I prayed.

A few hours later I received an e-mail that informed me that the previous night this eight month old baby had fallen out of bed and had been rushed to a hospital for emergency surgery. She had bumped her head on a concrete floor. The message asked me to pray for her surgery. I prayed.

Not long after, the word was sent out that the surgery had gone well. "Please pray for a speedy and full recovery." I prayed, "Thank-you God, please heal her completely. Please comfort the mom and dad who will be adopting her."

The next e-mail simply said, "Little Reagan didn't make it through the night. Please pray . . ."

I prayed.

I held the couple in my arms.

We wept.

God is weeping.

Sometimes it is hard to pray.

4 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

wow amazing story! I'll pray for the family. I saw your profile and it said you've been to Haiti I was wondering where you visited in Haiti and if you did mission work there?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Thanks for your prayers.

I'm a bit embarassed to disclose this, but my first trip to Haiti was because it was a port of call on a cruise I was on.

This June I'm going back to Haiti--this time to help defeat poverty!

7:30 PM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

I started to cry when you mentioned this in service. That's such a sad thing.

I'm currently reading "Dear and Glorious Physician" by Taylor Caldwell. It's about Luke's life. I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction, but one of the main themes in the story is that Luke, as a brilliant physician, has some serious issues with the nature of God...why does God allow good people to suffer and die while the unrighteous are left alone, unafflicted. Luke never denies that God exists, but he gets very angry with Him. He starts out thinking that God causes all this pain and sorrow, but little by little, he starts to realize that God is not the cause, but rather the remedy.

I will pray for this family.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

Karen and I having lost a daughter in a tragic way at the age of 16 on Easter Sunday Morning of 2001 can totally empathize with this post. We will pray for those folks and the other children of Haiti.

Forefront does mission trips to Haiti every year. We have one of our campus pastors is hoping to have twin boys in their home through adoption from Haiti this year. It is amazing to me that such a small country would have so much trouble and hurting. A small microcosm of the world I suppose.

Take care bro. I Love your heart!


In His Love,

Richie <((><
Acts 1:8

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home