Monday, November 23, 2009

Michelle Evans

This past weekend I interviewed Michelle Evans in each of our gatherings at RiverTree. Michelle is the Superintendent of Canton City Schools and also a Jesus follower who is part of RiverTree.

The time I spent with Michelle was pretty amazing. There are 10,000 children in the Canton City School system. Upwards of 75% of the students qualify for the Federally assisted lunch program . . . 3 out of 4! We talked at length about how the church could love on these kids in Jesus' name.

At the close of each service I asked 8-10 people to come up front, lay hands on Michelle's shoulders and pray for her. One of the coolest things took place at the end of our 11:30 Sunday service. Two of the people who came forward to pray were leaders from other school districts--the Superintendent of Northwest School District and the Assistant Principal from Jackson High School.

Love it when we come together . . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kerri said...

I am so glad I got to be at this teaching service!
I am here in Ohio visiting my beloved family, I miss so dearly, being so far away in South Florida.

I've recently found my way back to Christ. I've been lost for so long, I wasn't even aware of it. I want to share my story with you, as you, Greg, shared a time in my life long ago when I knew Christ so intimately, so fearlessly. I remember now. I remember what that peace and knowing is. How I forgot it for so long, my ego only knows.

The Authentic series, listening to each of them outside looking at the wonder and awe of the stars He made, hit me so hard, at the exact moment I needed it. The moment I was at my lowest. I had to be knocked flat on my back, to finally look up.

I attended a Celebrate Recovery group at a wonderful community church near my home. It was scary, and amazing, and I will return. I am also starting my journal with the book. I am still trying to find an accountability partner, but it is proving difficult. I will keep searching.

I have spent the last 5 years in an emotionally and verbally abusive relationship, which inculdes his parents and siblings. It took me a while to figure out what was "wrong". It was something I could feel, but never get my finger on it. Now I understand, and have educated myself. I can forgive because I understand the causes. I am struggling with resentment though, but will continue to pray and work through it.

I don't know what His plan is for me, but for the first time in what seems like forever, I have faith in His plan, not mine.

The hardest part of my experience, and current struggles, is that I am drained and weakend. I feel guilty for not being there for others as I know I should be. I know it is a gift I was given. I am determined to heal so I can be filled again, strenthened again, to be the light in others lives, where I see so much darkness it makes my heart ache. So many people around me are in need and hurting.

To Rivertree and it's leaders and everyone who works so hard, sacrifices their time, shows such love and understanding, to teach us and offer hope and guidance in Christ... I thank you.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Kerri,

So glad you're "home."

g

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home