Friday, December 14, 2007

Light

I attended my daughter's third grade Christmas production this morning. Actually, I'm not sure I am being politically correct in using the word "Christmas." As enjoyable as it was, it saddened me to see how hard the school had to work to take Jesus out of the picture. I'm sure that many of the teachers and administrative staff were just as sad. The kids sang a lot of songs about snow and snowmen, sleigh and jingle bells, even caring and sharing. But gone were Silent Night, Away In A Manger and there was no Little Town of Bethlehem.

I'm sorry to see the change from when I grew up. But I also understand. We live in a post-Christian society. It makes my job as a Jesus-following parent all that more important. Tabitha knows what Christmas is all about. She is a light in her school. That's what Jesus asks us to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger OneManMajority said...

Greg,

I strongly relate to your post. I am a teacher in a local district and it saddens me that I cannot express my faith. Even though I cannot talk about Jesus, I CAN act like Him. So, my goal is to spread my faith through my actions and values. Hopefully, kids will be drawn to the person that I am...a Christian.

3:14 PM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

At least the school didn't go to the extent that some do...leave the "CHRISTmas" songs in the program and change all the words...like "I'm Dreaming of a White Winter". =S

There are still some pockets here and there where the people AND the government don't go in much for that p.c. balogna. In our school district, Christmas is still Christmas. The kids still sing Silent Night and all that good stuff for their Christmas programs.

But what you do speaks so loudly that I can't hear what you're saying, anyway. =D

10:04 AM  
Blogger LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Greg,

Sad times; yet exciting times from a leader's perspective - no? No great thing that seeing someone's face light up when they finally see the light. That's what I'm talking about.

Since the Eagles are stinkin it up bro; I think I might root for the Browns in the Playoffs! They look great lately! Take care bro!

IHL,

Richie

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home