Friday, November 09, 2007

The Browns fan

This afternoon I went to the calling hours for a friend of mine whose step-dad just passed away. As I walked through the funeral home I noticed several people speaking in sign language. Come to find out that my friend's step-dad and his mom are/were both deaf. (I don't believe that I had met either one of them before today.)

I walked to the front of the room and paid my respects at the open casket. My friend's step-dad was wearing his favorite Cleveland Brown's sweater. Now, I liked the guy!

Here was a man who had never heard the cheers of the crowd. Never experienced football via the radio. Never stood in awe of the deafening roar . . . But he was a fan. He loved the game.

The Bible promises that one day we will all receive new bodies. New ears. No plastic surgery required. My friend's step-dad will hear the crowd. Will hear a voice say, "Welcome home." Will hear the words "Well done my good and faithful servant."

I walked out of the funeral home and as I did I realized that about 50% of those in attendance were now signing to one another. I was the one who was missing the conversation. I was the one who didn't understand. I was the one who couldn't "hear" what they were saying.

I'm looking forward to the day when there will be no tears or death, sorrow or pain. I'm looking forward to the day when we will all understand one another without the confusion of multiple languages. I'm looking foward to the day when we will all be able to really "hear" one another.

Hopefully it won't take as long as it's taking the Browns to win the Superbowl.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg,

Great Article. Did you know that the deaf population is one of the largest (may be the largest) unreached population in the world.

Bake

11:47 AM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

I would love to learn sign language enough to be an interpreter. I just can't find any classes anywhere.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg - Thank You very much for the kind words! One note for you though, a man I met who had married Duke's niece, played basketball with Duke AND though Duke could not hear the roar of the crowd - Fred said they communicated on the court through vibrations on the floor and Fred "called" certain plays for Duke based on his dribbles. How amazing is that! Thanks again Greg, and to the poster looking for sign language classes - check The University of Akron - I'm pretty sure there is certification for American Sign Language.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just great Greg, I really enjoyed and laughed at what you typed, it was so nice to see you and Julie there, he was a great step dad and will be greatly missed, always smiled and always was a browns fan even though one of his step sons wasnt..(steelers) ughhh!...we grew up in the deaf world which wasnt easy and laughed at as some of us grew up but now as an adult I help some students from Akron U.. who know me and ask me to help them study....how funny is that, and I love helping....Thx again Greg n Julie...Joy ( your friends lil sis)

12:41 AM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

That's so cool how someone said he would call basketball plays by the vibrations on the floor! Beethoven did that with the piano...sawed the legs off so it would lie flat on the floor and vibrate it. That's just incredible how people learn to do that. Amazing!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg

Thank you for your comments. Margie is my sister and I am the second to the youngest and both Margie and Mike Jr (our brother also deaf) were out of the home by the time I was old enough to understand so I am not as proificent in sign as I would like. Your message actually brought tears and joy at the same time. I am looking forward to the time when all differences will vanish as well as all infirmities and we will be in fellowship constantly

Amen

David

12:36 PM  
Blogger LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Now that is a cool post. I pray it doesn't take as long for the Eagles too bro!

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home