Sunday, June 17, 2007

Words I heard my dad say

Words I never heard my dad say:

"How on earth can you see the tv sitting so far back?"

"Yeah, I used to skip school a lot too."

"Just leave all the lights on . . . it makes the house look more cheery."

"Let me smell that shirt. Yeah, it's good for another week."

"Go ahead and keep that stray dog. I'll be glad to feed and walk him every day."

"Go ahead and use my tools. In fact, leave them wherever you use them. I'm just happy to see you working so hard."

"The curfew is just a general time to shoot for."

Words I heard my dad say:

"Pick yourself up and try harder this time!"

"You have to hold your mouth just like this if you want to catch a fish."

"Never talk back to your mother."

"This is going to hurt me a lot more than it's going to hurt you."

"Is that money burning a hole in your pocket? You don't have to spend every dime you get."

"Say your prayers."

"I'm proud of you son."

Happy Father's Day dad. And thank-you for the words you didn't say and for the ones you did.

1 Comments:

Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

I can see your dad saying some of those things. 8^)

Some dad memories of mine:

"Liberalism is the art of holding 2 contradictory notions in your head at the same time and declaring them both equally viable."

"Get out here and hold the flashlight."

"I don't wanna hear about anymore fights...unless someone hits you first."

Dad: "Did you draw all over the sink?"
Me: "No."
Dad: "Well, I didn't do it, and your mother didn't do it. Are you telling me that the dog did it?"
Me: "Yes."

"Know what I mean, Verne?" (a personal favorite of his)

"Where's the beef?" (what he always said when he was lookin' for something)

"If you're gonna play that thing, then you gotta learn to play the blues. Every blues musician can play rock n roll, but not every rock musician can play blues."

"Disco is certainly NOT dead."

"Learn a trade or go to college."

Then there was the time my dad got an A+ on my 6th grade science project. }:}~

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home