Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Does God promise health and wealth?

A lot of people believe that when you become a God-follower everything in life gets rosy. You become healthy and wealthy and all of life’s troubles get put on hold. There are some churches that even teach that kind of thought process.

I find it interesting that when we look at the life of Jesus, for some reason, his life was not a cake walk. I mean Jesus was the ultimate God-follower and following God led him to be crucified! When it comes to wealth, the Bible says that Jesus didn’t even have a place to lay his head. (Matthew 8:20)

Consider this episode in the life of Jesus. Jesus gets baptized and the voice of God thunders from heaven, “You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy.” (Mark 1:11) God gives his ultimate stamp of approval. Life doesn’t get any better than that. You would think Jesus would now begin his fairy tale life.

But look at what happens immediately after Jesus was baptized. “The Spirit then compelled Jesus to go into the wilderness, where he was tempted by Satan for forty days.” (Mark 1:12-13)

That can’t be right! God just placed his stamp of approval on Jesus. Jesus should go have some nice lamb chops for dinner. He should go have a party with his disciples. He should go turn some water into wine! Doesn’t happen.

Jesus finds himself in the wilderness. Jesus finds himself with nothing to eat. Jesus finds himself face to face with Satan.

Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? You decided to follow God and then you found out you had cancer. You decided to follow God and three months later your spouse told you they don’t love you anymore. You decided to follow God and you still didn’t have enough money to pay your bills.

Some people would tell you that you need to have more faith. Others would tell you that you’re not trying hard enough. Still others would ask you what sin in your life is causing all this bad stuff to happen.

If you’re a God-follower and you have some tough situations you are facing in life, you know what I think is your problem? You’re like Jesus. And do you know where God is when you find yourself, like Jesus, in the wilderness? The same place God was when Jesus was in the wilderness—he is right there with you.

God doesn’t promise to eliminate every storm in your life but he does promise to be with you in the midst of every storm.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been in churches where they have told me I didn't have enough faith, or I had some sin keeping God fro m blessing me. I don't believe this either. Apostle Paul was put in prison for much of his life, and God used that time for him to write alot of the New Testament. Then the time Jesus and the disicples were in the boat and a storm came upon them. Jesus the man who understood faith more than any of us could, was in the boat. What a cool thing ... He was in the boat. He is in our boat too, when the storms of life come upon us, going through the storm with us. He is always there, we just have to remember that!!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff.
In the back of my head I hear powerfully soft "You give and take away... you give and take away...my heart will always say ...blessed be the name of the Lord..."

Free will blows me away. Christ could have said no. He willingly became the payment.

God never promised that there would be no storms, but I believe with my whole heart that no matter how horrible, how painful, how unfair the storms seem, The almighty GOD of ALL the UNIVERSE loves me and holds me in the palm of His hand.

The most unreal part? Anyone remember the last day it didn't storm??? I lose count of how many times a day I forget about the POWER I am held in when I am following Christ. Those times while I am forgetting that power are the most scary, miserable, lonely , despair of the storm.

My current prayer is "God help me to want Your will"

1:50 PM  
Blogger Dick Rogers said...

Thank you.

11:41 PM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

Yeah, that "health, wealth, and prosperity" message is out of control. There's a story in the Bible where one man gave the very best of what he had and it cost him his life...in Genesis 4...and even that happened to Jesus.

When people are going through hard times, the LAST thing they need to hear is "you need more faith; you're not trying hard enough, or you did something wrong." That's so cold! That's exactly what Job's friends said to him...and they were WRONG. One of my favorite verses from Job's story is Job 23:10 where Job said, "He [the Lord] knows which way I take, and when He has tested me, I will come forth as pure gold."

As for persecution, my friend says it most awesomely: "If you're not being persecuted, it's because the Devil doesn't think you're a threat."

"He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Matt. 5:45

Great thread, Pastor. =D I hope a lot of people read this one. A lot of folks really need to hear what you've said, especially since you're a preacher.

1:04 AM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

Praise You In The Storm
- Casting Crowns

"I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I’ll praise You in this storm
And I will life my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can’t find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth."

1:08 AM  
Blogger Mike A. said...

Great subject, often the reason many fall away from Christ. Following Jesus is a rightious life,but not always full of happiness. As Paul states in 2 Corinthians 11:23-28, he was shipwrecked 3x,beaten 3x,whipped 5x,condemned to death,hungry, thirsty,lacked clothing,persecuted,slandered,treated as filth of the world-yet he told the Corinthians to "imitate him". All to further the gospel of Jesus Christ, what a RIGHTIOUS man of God.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to give a great BIG Thank You for posting this, its definitely something I needed to read at this point in my life!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home