Friday, January 12, 2007

Snowmobiling and serious conversation

This past week I went snowmobiling with three other Pastors. We all met in Chicago and then drove six hours to Northern Wisconsin (We had to get to where the snow is!). Snowmobiling is a blast! It actually enhanced my prayer life . . . One prayer went something like this "God, thank-you for the beauty of that lake and the snow on the pines." Another prayer went something like this, "Oh God, please don't let me hit that tree!"

As much fun as the sledding was, the best part was by far the time spent with my friends. We're all about the same age. We all Pastor churches of about the same size. And we all struggle with many of the same challenges in life. We intentionally get together about three times a year.

We talk about how to stay healthy. How not to sleep with someone other than our wives. How to keep our egos in check. In other words, we trust one another and we love each other enough to ask honest questions and give honest answers.

Staying pure isn't easy. Becoming like Jesus takes people around us who are willing to encourage us but also to say the hard things.

Do you have people like that in your life?

1 Comments:

Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

My social situation is rather unique. I'm somewhat of a recluse that enjoys the company of strangers. However, even in my hermitage, there are 3 people that keep me in line: my husband, my mom, and my 1 close friend. Remarkably, I see each one of these people as being in charge of certain areas of my life! They didn't choose to guard them, so the Lord must have. My husband keeps an eye on the things I say and do. My mom keeps me in check in the area of stewardship of many things, including my family. My friend is passionate Bible studier, and he is my "witness counsel" who helps me figure out Glorious mysteries and is not afraid to tell me I'm full of crap when an idea doesn't line up with Scripture.

Having folks like that around is invaluable, not only for the physical life but also the spiritual. Not to demean my husband or anything (my husband is VERY important and has a tougher job than the other 2), but my Bible friend is probably helps me the most - if my spiritual life is in order, then it follows suit that my physical life will be in order.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home