Friday, May 22, 2009

I remember

Well, we're headed into Memorial Day weekend . . . A time to remember.

In 1868, Commander in Chief, John A. Logan, inaugurated the observance of Memorial Day in honor of fallen soldiers from the Civil War. Over the years it has come to serve as a day we remember all U.S. men and women killed or missing in action in all wars.

For most of us, Memorial Day has become a time to remember not only those lost in military action but all of those we love who have passed from this life.

So, today I remember:

Grandma Nettle who prayed for me every night on her knees until the day she died. She prayed from the time that I was 10 that I would grow up to be a Pastor.

Earl Skinner who was like a Grandparent to me. He did woodworking projects with me, gave me my first hunting gun and and taught me that it was okay for men to cook.

My Mammau who was the living incarnation of spunk.

Grandma Rex (On Julie's side), a devout Catholic who was proud to pronounce that she was the first ecumenical.

Terry Everhart who was an Elder at RiverTree. Terry helped us through some very challenging transitional times as a church.

Rich Mullins who was the first person to teach me to think outside of the box as a follower of Jesus.

Who do you remember?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my dad, who had a huge, hugga-bear heart. He loved to serve and care for others..

I remember my Son who taught me to love unconditionally even when his little broken body couldn't express love... Trent

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my Grandma on my dad's side of the family. Who always made sure I got to church, with her. She was always a caring, loving Grandma who always tried to be fair in everything she did. She always told me I had a home at her house should I ever need it. Her door was always open, and unlocked. We would always just walk right in. She passed away way too soon with Parkinson's disease. I love and miss you Grandma !!!

12:02 PM  
Blogger laurel said...

I remember my dear Grandma. She taught me to never be idle and to always tell the truth.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember my mom who locked herself in a room to pray every day until she died in a car accident the summer after my graduation in 1980.

I remember my brother who taught me to love music.

I remember my dad who IS my hero. He has prostate cancer and colon cancer yet still was able to come here from Arizona for my daughters wedding...I'm not waiting until he dies to remember him.

Tim

4:31 PM  
Blogger jcubsdad said...

I was so blessed to meet Rich one week before he passed. It was the first concert I had ever been to and I was enamored with the amount of humility he exuded. I was 19 and decided to be a "Rich Mullins wanna be". So far I have learned I have a long way to go. And that was 13 years ago.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home