Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Faith Training

I just finished reading Faith Training by Joe White. The book is centered around passing our faith onto our children. Overall, it's not that great of a read. HOWEVER, it did inspire me to be more intentional about teaching my kids to love Jesus. As Joe says, it's not the responsibility of the school system or the church to train my children--the responsibility belongs with me as a parent!

Sooo, Tabs and I will continue to memorize Bible verses together. I'll continue to recount the stories of God's people whenever possible. I'll continue to sing "Jesus loves me" to my son Elijah when I put him to bed.

At the end of the day, or the end of my life, if I haven't raised children that love the Lord, then I have failed one of the most important responsibilities entrusted to me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Wayne K said...

I found that the devotions helped my daughters and I connect, and better understand the bible as being relevent to their lives. I have also read "Sticking with Your Teen, How to Keep From Coming Unglued No Matter What" Some tough topics and hard lessons. Also liked "Coaching Your Kids in the Game of Life" by Ricky Birdsong(you can borrow my copy if you like) The athlete and coach in me found it a very good read. Also heard from an author on the radio about his book "Outkasts United" by St John, due out today. An interesting story about refugees in a US town.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you deal with a 17 year old who has been raised in church, in a strong christian family, who now say she doesn't believe in God and has asked permission to not go to church anymore with the family, because she is a "good girl", and also says she won't fight going to church on holiday's with the family ???

3:12 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

First of all, I don't profess to be the expert on teenagers. What I would suggest is that as long as your daughter lives in your home--she must abide by your house rules. Second, I will commit to praying for your daughter--as I trust you are as well.

g

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home