Friday, December 15, 2006

Pious nitpicking

I just finished reading 2 Timothy in The Message. The Apostle Paul instructs Timothy to "Warn them before God against pious nitpicking, which chips away at the faith. It just wears everyone out." (2 Timothy 2:14)

In Craig Groeschel's book, Confessions Of A Pastor, he has a chapter titled, "I Can't Stand A Lot Of Christians." I have to admit, that chapter title alone made me read the book. And when I read 2 Timothy 2:14 it clarified the reason why I frequently feel the same as Craig Groeschel. It's the pious nitpicking!

We have a world that desperately needs to see the love of Jesus. Children that are going to bed hungry night after night. Marriages that are falling apart all around us. Countries that don't have safe drinking water. And many Christians are more concerned about the volume or style of music that's being played in their church services. Many Christians are more concerned about whether or not their Pastor wears a tie when he preaches. Many Christians are more concerned about the color of the nursery. It's pious nitpicking!!!

Of course . . . I could just be nitpicking.

6 Comments:

Blogger James Kellams said...

Pastor, you are absolutely, correct with your comments. I am never satisfied and I under-appreciate the blessings I have. Perhaps I wouldn't care what color the walls were if I didn't have walls. Perhaps I wouldn't care if your wore a tie if I had rags on my back. Perhaps I wouldn't mind what version of the Bible you quoted if I had no Bible. Maybe I wouldn't nitpick if all I had were...Well, you get the idea. Lord, help me to truly appreciate my blessings.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I just say that the color in the nursery is fabulous....the volume of our music lets me praise as loud as I want to......the absence of a tie on our leader allows my husband to worship on his way home from work on Saturday night, because he's got to work on Sunday......I LOVE being able to worship in a place that is real!!
Thank you, Thank you... for creating a place where my family can come and grow closer to Christ. We ALWAYS feel welcome!!!
PS...I really don't know what the color in the nursery is...I guess I don't care.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor,
I agree with the topic re: christians nitpicking, has actually divided churches-what a shame. We(the christian church) need the keep our focus on Jesus,as He is the head of our church,and we are all part of this body,with many different roles to play- and nitpicking isn't one of them. By the way, LOVE THE MUSIC, is the BEST of any church-anywhere!
Thanks

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is: As Christ followers, how do we handle a situation where a fellow christian is nitpicking and turning people against one another?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

The answer is found in the Book of Titus. "If people are causing divisions among you, give a first and second warning. After that, have nothing to do with them." (Titus 3:10)

The Bible is very clear about what to do when someone is being divisive.

11:55 AM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

I wish Christians would spend more time worrying about the various aspects of their internal spiritual condition than the aesthetics of the surrounding world.

I believe it was Jesus who called them "whitewashed tombs".

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home