Friday, November 24, 2006

The day after

The day after Thanksgiving is always a unique day. Put up the Christmas lights. Watch some more football. Eat leftovers. But do we still give thanks?

This morning I received a phone call from a friend from my past. His son, who just graduated from high school last year, was stationed in Iraq. He called to tell me that his son was killed in action this week.

Shortly after the phone call, I left the house and headed to Reed Funeral Home. I perfomed the funeral for an 80 year old man on Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) and today (the day after Thanksgiving) he was being laid in the ground. He received full military honors at his graveside. Is there any sound more lonely than Taps?

A 19 year old and an 80 year old. I'm certain that my friends expected to see their 19 year old son again. There would be many more Thanksgivings together. I also know that when my 80 year old friend went into the hospital for routine knee surgery that his family was expecting to celebrate this and many more Thanksgivings with him.

But here we are, the day after, and both are gone.

No more Thanksgivings together in this lifetime.

Life is fragile.

Maybe the day after Thanksgiving we should continue our thanks giving? Who do you have in your life that you could pick up the phone and call? Who could you write a short note to? Just wanted to say, "I thank God that you're in my life."

Don't wait until next Thanksgiving.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today, I will not let grass grow under my feet…

I will give heartfelt thanks to a community of souls I have not met, but who have been with me daily of late. Months ago my mother sent me the website for Rivertree so I could download the archived sermons. The stone that was thrown in the water in Ohio has rippled far and wide reaching so many, including us here in South Florida. Friends, family, and co-workers here are continuing that ripple and it’s amazing. One woman I work with has an elder parent living with her who cannot drive anymore, but now she can “go to church” online. I downloaded them to my phone, and listen while driving to work, or after Sunday dinner with family. Each person who gets turned on to the archives has immediately thought of someone they want to share them with. Our hopes and imaginations start churning with ideas on how this beginning can turn into a journey.

There are so many of us searching for a local church that we feel comfortable in. A church “anyone can come to”. Rivertree is that place. I’m not sure what our next steps are, but I am so thankful for Rivertree that we have a beginning. Bless you all.


"If we meet someone who owes us thanks, we right away remember that. But how often do we meet someone to whom we owe thanks without remembering that?"
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Greg,
How true that is, we have had a close call over Thanksgiving (my mother has been in ICU since Wed.) So far we are blessed to still have her with us. For the time being it's looking up again but with her being in chronic renal failure, it's just a matter of time.I am Thankful she is still here and I can still tell her I love her.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Greg Nettle said...

Hey Kerrie,

Always good to hear from you!

Please BE the church anyone can come to in South Florida. Who knows, maybe there will soon be a RiverTree Church right where you are--because of what you're doing.

Love you sister.

Greg

3:12 PM  
Blogger Dave Fletcher said...

Greg, do you need some of us to prayerfully consider relocating to South Florida to launch our next Satellite? Somehow that doesn't seem like such a hard sell - especially as winter approaches!

Seriously though, it's wonderful (but not surprising) that RiverTree's reach is so broad. Clearly God has chosen RiverTree to be a beacon and has anointed you. We, your church partners, are so thankful for your leadership, and that of the the rest of the pastoral staff and elders, and are blessed to be part of a church that's really making a difference in God's Kingdom!

Keep doing what you're doing!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home