Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bible verses to hide in your heart

Okay, I said I would make this list available, so here it is. These are the Scriptures I'm memorizing with my 8 year old daughter, Tabitha.

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 119:11
Your word have I hid in my heart so that I might not sin against God.

John 14:6
Jesus said, I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.

Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength!

Mark 12:30
You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.

Luke 6:31
Do to others what you would like for them to do to you.

Galatians 5:22-23
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

That should be enough to get you started. We made flash cards to practice them. Tabs had fun decorating the cards.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave Fletcher said...

I love that you're helping to equip parents to make use of some of those 3000 hours that we have to invet in our childrens' eternity! We hope to do more of that at RiverCity Studios over the next 3 Saturday evenings as well. I hope you can make it!

Keep on Bloggin!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You- Thank you!! I am so excited you are encouraging other parents to memorize scripture with their children. Jason & I feel it is so important, we started when Austin was 4, he is now 16!
--Our sons favorites- Eph. 6 and Rom. 8 -They know almost all of the chapter. Keep up the great work!!! The Skelley's :)

1:33 PM  
Blogger LivingDedGrrl said...

Thanks for this Pastor Greg. I know in my own life that even when I strayed from God in my teens/twenties, it was the Word in my heart that eventually helped wake me up. I'm so glad my parents read Bible stories to me and taught me about Christ in my youth. I remember the verse my mom gave me for graduation...Jeremiah 29:11. Today that's my life verse. I'm glad they gave me a foundation or I'd still be wandering.

Since my daughter was old enough to put words into sentences, she has been taught Bible stories, and she tells them to everyone in her own words, but more than that, with the understanding of a child she can tell you what those stories really mean.

Giving kids a strong foundation is so important.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding issue 3: Thank you for your input. It's refreshing to have a minister give us information and let us each decide how to vote, instead of telling us how to vote. Thank you.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this list. My daughter and I have been very excited to learn more and more everyday since we started coming to Rivertree in July of 2005. This list is a great asset to me in helping to guide her on the path that God wills her to follow. Thank you and all the partners of Rivertree for being the kind of church that all can come to no matter what their personal situations. My daughter and I feel an overwelming power of Love everytime we walk through the doors at Rivertree and know we are at home there. Thank You again. It means so much to us.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Dave Fletcher said...

We're having an awesome time memorizing these verses. Our family has split them up among us - we learn our own and then learn each others. I told a friend about what we're doing and they passed me this link to an ABC Bible verse list - 1 short verse for every letter of the alphabet...
http://articles.scrapbooking.com/ABCBIBLE.HTM

(you can cut/past into your browser - if you type it in manually, be sure to capitalize ABCBIBLE.HTM)

Thanks again for getting us started on this and for stressing the importance of kids in God's Kingdom!!!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home